Q (pre-play)
Jul. 5th, 2022 06:14 pmHarry Hart had been at the top of MIT Technology Review's Titans of Tech list five years running. Now he was taking apart a vending machine with a screwdriver because he was aware of the shelf life of twinkies.
After... everything, he'd scrambled for quite some time, trying pointlessly to salvage his company. But without a power grid, the self-driving cars that had literally just been approved for English roads, that had sent the stock in Lepidoptera skyrocketing, were just hunks of metal. And of course, the social media company he'd built from the ground up, the one he'd sold for three billion pounds to finance his dream to revolutionize transportation, was also just... pointless. Gone. Dust in the wind.
Still, Harry Hart was already known for pivoting. How to see the next big thing. And once everyone (himself included) was done sobbing and screaming into the void and ready to create this brave new world, he would be there. Pivoted.
In the meantime though, he was salvaging his own company's research and design labs for anything that might be of use to him. Starting with twinkies.
"Bloody fucking christ," he snapped grumpily, to no one, when the panel on the back of the vending machine he'd turned over on its side just snapped in half instead of coming off.
After... everything, he'd scrambled for quite some time, trying pointlessly to salvage his company. But without a power grid, the self-driving cars that had literally just been approved for English roads, that had sent the stock in Lepidoptera skyrocketing, were just hunks of metal. And of course, the social media company he'd built from the ground up, the one he'd sold for three billion pounds to finance his dream to revolutionize transportation, was also just... pointless. Gone. Dust in the wind.
Still, Harry Hart was already known for pivoting. How to see the next big thing. And once everyone (himself included) was done sobbing and screaming into the void and ready to create this brave new world, he would be there. Pivoted.
In the meantime though, he was salvaging his own company's research and design labs for anything that might be of use to him. Starting with twinkies.
"Bloody fucking christ," he snapped grumpily, to no one, when the panel on the back of the vending machine he'd turned over on its side just snapped in half instead of coming off.
no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 12:51 am (UTC)He'd prepared for security, mindful of possible guards and traps. What he hadn't expected, however, was to find Hart himself taking apart a vending machine.
"You know it isn't true that they last fifty years," he said as a way to announce his presence, his hand on the concealed gun he loathed to carry, just in case. "They expire in about 25 days. They have a lot of dairy, and the bags aren't air tight. They look fine from a distance, but I promise you wouldn't want to eat one. ...You should collect dried beans. Dried beans actually have a nearly infinite shelf life."
no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 12:59 am (UTC)"I just thought, while I'm here..." he said. But set down his screwdriver.
"And why are you here?"
no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 01:02 am (UTC)"Oh, I'm sorry, are they no longer offering tours? That would explain why no one was at the front desk..." Q quipped dryly. "I'm doing what we all do now. Scavenging. Specifically for decent wiring and electronic components."
no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 01:50 am (UTC)And he was just one man; how much could he take? Harry had ensured months ago that any important intellectual property, or anything dangerous, was gone.
no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 01:57 am (UTC)"Very little is worth anything anymore, but I have plans to open a small repair workshop. I've started on a small power grid, and now that it's up and working I need things to keep it that way."
And he intended to have it, but he wasn't about to make an enemy if he didn't have to.
"...If you'd supply me with a few rudimentary items, the wires, and help carry them, I could show you what I've built so far," he offered, hoping that might be a good enough offer to entice a little help.
"I can throw in some dried beans and one of my new water filtration units."
no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 02:17 am (UTC)And then, because though he had gotten into the habit of assuming people recognized him it also seemed rude, he offered his hand and said, "I'm Harry."
no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 02:28 am (UTC)"I know," Q assured him, glancing at the hand, before accepting it and shaking.
He didn't offer his own name in return. Not just yet.
"No one's going to jump out and shoot me if I start stripping things for parts, are they?"
no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 02:37 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 02:53 am (UTC)"Building," Q said. "As I mentioned, I have a micro power grid, and I would like to maintain and slowly expand."
In time it was possible he could profit off it, but for now he needed it to run his small repair business.
"Why are you here and not in some posh fallout shelter?" he asked bluntly.
no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 03:00 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 03:04 am (UTC)"Well if you don't want it, I'll gladly trade. I've been sleeping on an inflatable mattress for a month now, and it's reached the point I have to reinflate it in the middle of the night. I bet they have real beds. ...And good tea."
no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 01:05 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 01:26 pm (UTC)"Are you not worried you're a target here?" he asked curiously. "There are already groups forming who raid any place they think might be of worth, and they... I've witnessed what they can do. It's horrific."
no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 02:13 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 06:06 pm (UTC)"Sometimes I think it would be nice to have some form of community here, but- I'm genuinely not sure I trust anyone enough to build with them anymore."
no subject
Date: 2022-07-06 11:54 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-07-07 12:06 am (UTC)"I fear whatever soul names themself our leader is going to either be a warlord or self-proclaimed god-king. I want nothing to do with either," Q replied, trying not to look too excited as he looked around the lab.
Yes, this was all very useful to him. He could create all sorts using this. He should have brought a larger backpack.
no subject
Date: 2022-07-07 12:14 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-07-07 12:19 am (UTC)Q nodded his thanks, managing not to pounce as he unzipped his bag and set it on a table to fill.
"The air in here is still good," he noted as he started to pick through things and take what he needed. "Some buildings you go into, the air's thick with mold. I had a respirator I was using, but it's beyond repair now."
no subject
Date: 2022-07-07 12:41 am (UTC)He watched him as he picked through the things. Harry hadn't interacted with anyone like this in some time.
no subject
Date: 2022-07-07 01:01 am (UTC)"Do you know where you'll go? You don't have to tell me the location, I just wonder if you have a plan is all."
Q didn't really, he wasn't sure where he'd go if anything happened to his current home..
no subject
Date: 2022-07-07 07:38 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-07-07 07:53 pm (UTC)Q looked unsure of what to do for a moment, and eventually set it back down.
"I just... I was going to use it to control the solar panels I've built. I need a way to have them follow the sun on the rare occasion it's out all day. The water does most of the heavy lifting at night, hydro power is terribly underrated, especially for powering smaller areas... But um, I won't take it if it's important."
no subject
Date: 2022-07-07 08:44 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-07-07 08:53 pm (UTC)"I'm aware of your work," Q assured him with the faintest hint of a genuine smile. "...I also took apart one of your cars once. It was lovely."
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: